Monday, November 28, 2011

Into the unknown

We all made it through Thanksgiving. It was our year without all the kids so it was definately a smaller affair than last year. We had made plans to travel this year to my husband's niece's house but so close to delivering we decided it was better to stay close to home.

In a matter of weeks I will embark on a new chapter in my life. I will be a stay at home mom. I have never been so nervous and unsure of my ability. I never imagined myself here. I would never have dreamed 6 years ago that no only would I be giving up working but I would be staying home with my kids.

Growing up, I was not very domestic. I was very driven and worked hard to earn my degree. I have worked practically my entire life. I have always been very good at my job and always have held positions of authority. During a job interview 6 years ago, I was asked where I would be at ini 5 years. I told him, I would most likely have his job.

I am preparing myself for an adjustment and hope I can handle this new direction my life has taken me. I know we are in for a fight when we let Krypto know about the upcoming change. I think we have decided to let her in on it in about a week. Here's hoping she accepts it. (I know...I can dream).

For any SAHM....how did you handle the transition and any advice?

1 comment:

Crys said...

I'm so excited for you! I'm only a half SAHM. I technically have a full time job, but I work from home. It's been a hard transition, and still is even three years later. I miss being able to socialize and I miss having those awesome projects. I ended up becoming a PartyLite consultant just to have something more like a job. It helps me get out of the house, it brings in a little extra cash when I put effort into it and it's the only independent business I've seen that allows me to do it. My advice is to make sure that you get some time for yourself. Even if it's simple little pleasures like going out for ice cream. I go completely bananas some days when I feel all cooped up with only the baby and the cats to talk to. Being able to have something special that I do (even if I have the baby in tow) makes a huge difference to me.