Friday, October 9, 2009

Milestone

Clark lost his first baby tooth last night. He pulled it himself. He was very proud because he didn't even cry. We caught the entire affair on video. Clark had been asking us to pull it all week but after discussing it we decided we would encourage him to do it himself. We wanted the decision to pull it to be his not look like an attempt by us to exclude Krypto from a major milestone. After returning from midweek visitation with her on Tuesday, Clark informed us he was told not to pull it until Friday when he goes back to her house.

Clark was working up the courage last night and was trying to get one of us to do it. He was drilling us about hard we would pull and if I would be easier. At one point he asked me directly to pull it and attempted to hand me the washcloth. My first thought was I would never hear the end of it if I was responsible for his first tooth being pulled. By the time she got done with the story I would be holding him down, prying the tooth from his head with pliers all the while he screams for his mother. No thank you.

In an attempt to purge myself of the guilt I surprisingly had over Krypto not being present for the event I spent close to an hour trying to edit the video to send to Krypto. By the time I was done I was tired of hearing my own voice on the tape. You could tell I was excited and apparently I turn into a tweaking chipmunk with a southern drawl when I get excited. Who knew?

After watching the newly edited video, Superman commented on my voice in the tape and how much she is going to hate hearing it. I ended up not sending the video yet. I have to decide if it will come across as a nice gesture or will she perceive it as an attempt to gloat over her not being a part of it? Or am I screwed either way?

Superman sent an email and some photos we took. Is every milestone going to be a race between us?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally understand the 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' concept. It's one I/Husband wrestle with frequently as well. His first thought is 'no'. My first thought is 'yes'. LOL I say do what feels right and if she takes it as gloating, well, so be it.

Anonymous said...

I think you'd be wise to keep your home movies to yourself.

Eyes Wide Open said...

I vote for screwed either way...because that's what always happens when I try to do something nice. I have pro photo equipment and whenever we go away I always take nice photos of just the kid (no dad or me or even the dog in them) to print and give to his mom. She thinks I'm gloating because we took him somewhere. Ugh. So now I just keep the photos for us.

PS: Somethin' for ya on my blog!

Crys said...

My whole life is on video tape ... trust me when I say that might come in handy one day. He he. Middle Boy lost his two bottom teeth the same time ... Oye! Luckily I had my camera to catch the toothless grin, but that's awesome that you have it on video.

Unknown said...

That is awesome you have it on video, it is always wise to capture all the milestone moments