Tuesday, January 20, 2009

And so it begins

We dropped Clark off at Kryto's house following our midweek visitation. As usual, I stay in the vehicle while Superman takes him to the door. I make a conscious effort not to appear bothered when she keeps talking to Superman at the door, usually about nothing important. I think she does this because she knows I'm waiting for him in the car.

Tonight was exceptionally long. When Superman gets into the car he proceeds to tell me about the conversation he just had with Krypto. Initially it was about dentist appointments and other things like that. Then the conversation switched to Kent's upcoming arrival. When all was said, she basically was asking Superman to give her Clark when Kent is born because she does not want him "neglected". Superman was caught off guard by the comments and told her in no certain terms he would be taken care of and not to worry about it. And the visitation schedule would not be changing due to Kent's birth.

We have made a decision not to share details or at least be vague about Kent with her because we did not feel it was any of her business. We have not encouraged Clark to keep secrets from her but we were not going to make her a priority in this particular situation. In fact, she's never brought up the subject before. Superman tells me she referred to him as "Kent" just like Clark has been doing since we found out he was a boy. I don't know why that bothers me so much.

The idea of my son's name coming out of her mouth makes my stomach turn. I really don't want her trying to sneak a peak at him while dropping Clark off either. I want to shield him from what I will believe will be a negative person in his life. How do I balance wanting to keep Kent away from her prying but not giving Clark the impression his mother is a bad influence?

No comments: