Thursday, January 1, 2009

Not the Mommy

I am a pretend mother. I am not the real mommy. I know this because I have been told countless times. I am responsible for getting the kids dressed, to school on time, help with homework, and fix life's bumps and bruises whether real or imaginary.

But, I can not stress this point enough. I am the pretend mommy.

I did not give birth to these children. I was not there in the beginning. I do not remember the first steps or the look on my husband's face when they were born. I came into the picture later. Apparently too late to be anything but the pretend mommy.

I begin this with a hope I can come to terms with being a pretend mommy. I want to be able to rise above the disagreements, hurt feelings, and selfishness that comes so often with the blending of families. I want to be a better pretend mommy. I want to count, to have my opinion mean something.

No comments: