Saturday, January 24, 2009

Sibling Class

We went to a sibling class today for Clark. It was to help Clark transition from being the youngest to an older brother. The instructor brought a lot of the same topics up we have already covered and Clark was very proud of himself for being able to answer correctly. She also addressed concepts we had not even thought of. She addressed the issue of the new baby receiving a lot of attention and presents. She compared it with his own birthday and he seemed satisfied with the explanation. He has even decided he can help Kent open his birthday presents since he will be too young to do it when he gets here. Overall it was a good class and would recommend it to anyone. He was however a little shocked by the concept of breastfeeding. We will probably get an angry email over that one.

The instructor was not aware I was the stepmother. She referred to me as mom during the class. I was curious to see how he would react. After we were first married, Clark would correct people and tell them I wasn't his mother. Over time the reaction has started to change. I think being around kids his own age with stepparents has helped him understand more. His counselor he went to for a short period of time reinforced it was ok if he had two mommy's even if he didn't call me that.

Clark has always called me by my first name and he knows it is his choice what he can call me. Recently he has started asking more questions about calling me mom. He is very curious about what Kent will call me and asked several time if he could call me mom too if he wanted. We want it to be his choice but we don't want him to feel he is being left out of anything that his brother is doing. It's walking a tight rope because Krypto would not be happy if she knew he was considering the idea.

No comments: