Thursday, September 24, 2009

What Does A Falling Shoe Sound Like?

I knew it couldn't be easy. No fighting, no crying, no guilt trips. I hate to admit it but without these little moments my pessimistic attitude just wouldn't be justified. I'm trying to be a better person and not think the worst but what's a girl to do.

Lois called Superman yesterday to discuss her birthday dinner. For the last 12 years Superman has had dinner alone with the girls on their birthday. We kept the tradition even after we got married. Its in the visitation agreement. Its one of the few things about the agreement Superman actually really likes. Lexie in recent years has been mumbling about how unfair it is. (He gets additional 2 hours a year on their birthday and she gets the kids 12 out of every 14 days. Yeah, really unfair.) Anyways, Lois calls and asks if Superman is still able to take her birthday off next week and spend it with her as he suggested earlier in the week. Superman tells her because she didn't think it was a good idea he scheduled training that day and can not take off. Lois goes on to explain Lexie wants to have dinner with her. Lois doesn't mention changing dinner plans with Superman so Superman doesn't say anything. Lois goes on to another subject and nothing else is said.

Fast forward 6 hours. Lois calls while we were on the way to dinner. I start to cover my head because I assume the other shoe is about to fall. Lois says this statement. This is all too hard. I believe I hear Superman's heart breaking. He goes on to ask who this is hard on. She replies it is just too hard for everyone. Superman tells her he doesn't want to make anything harder for her and she can make her own decisions and we will support her. What she says next shocked both of us.

Can I move in tomorrow night? Let me repeat this. She said, Can I move in tomorrow night?

Superman quickly agreed as soon as he could chin off the floor. Lois wouldn't go into a lot of details. She just kept repeating it's just too hard and everyone came to a decision this would be best. Yeah right. Lois made a decision and did not cave under her mother's pressure which probably led to this. She is basically being told to leave.

About 3 hours later, Lois calls and tells us Lexie doesn't want us to waste gas by coming to help her move so Lois's friends have decided to help her. Now this is the woman who wanted us to let Lois take our car during our visitation to drive to her house 15 miles away so Lois could water her plants. Did I mention it was raining at the time? Waste gas, my ass. She doesn't want to see Superman.

So as of 6pm tonight Lois will be at our house with all her worldly possessions. I am very proud she was able to make a decision and stick to it. Not because it makes Superman happy (although that is a definite bonus for me) but because she weighed her options and decided this was the best choice for her. Maybe she is growing up?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Probably not growing up. Likely avoiding mom's rules and expectations. I hope I'm wrong, though, for your sake.

Eyes Wide Open said...

wow. i admire your level of calm...i think i would tweak a bit with a plan of that caliber getting changed so quickly. like mean stepmom, i hope she's not just using your house as a way to get back at/avoid her mom!

Pretend Mommy said...

I honestly think her mother is telling her to get out. I don't think she is running away or at least not like she tried in the past.

I'm trying not to be too negative about the plans being changed. Usually I would be freaking out but I think seeing Superman so happy is making it easier. If I start out being negative it would be very hard for me to change my outlook I think.